Saudi-led airstrike kills 5 civilians in north Yemen

A Saudi-led coalition fighting Houthi rebels in Yemen killed at least five people of a family in the country’s northern province of Saada on Saturday, a local security official said.

The five, including a mother and four children, were killed after the airstrike destroyed the family’s house in Kud area of Razih district Saturday morning, the official told Xinhua by telephone on condition of anonymity. He said the coalition air campaign has intensified on the district since late night on Friday.

Saada is the key stronghold of the Iranian-allied Shiite Houthis fighting government forces backed by the Saudi-led coalition forces. Saturday’s attack was the latest in a series of airstrikes that resulted in the deaths of civilians in Yemen. Earlier this month, a coalition airstrike hit near a school in Zabid district in Yemen’s western Red Sea port city of Hodeidah province, killing three residents and injuring four others, according to official reports by both warring forces. The impoverished Arab country has been locked in a civil war since the Houthi rebels overran much of Yemen militarily and seized all northern provinces in 2014, including the capital Sanaa.

Saudi Arabia leads an Arab military coalition that has intervened in the Yemen war since 2015 to support the government of exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. More than 10,000 Yemenis, mostly civilians, have been killed in the war, and about 3 million have been displaced.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s