Jury selection kicks off trial of man accused of shooting his neighbor in hate crime

14335252.JPG
Sixty-three jurors remained in the pool Monday afternoon as the first day of proceedings concluded in the trial of a south Tulsa man accused of murder and a hate crime in the 2016 shooting death of his neighbor.

The case against 63-year-old Stanley Vernon Majors is expected to continue into February, with selection of the final 12 jurors and two alternates projected by week’s end, District Judge Sharon Holmes announced Monday morning.

Holmes excused two people from service for such reasons as a language barrier and scheduling concerns, leaving 27 women and 36 men available, of which fewer than five are people of color.

Majors is charged with first-degree murder, malicious intimidation and harassment, threatening an act of violence, and possession of a firearm after a felony conviction related to the death of 37-year-old Khalid Jabara on Aug. 12, 2016. Court records indicate Majors has a previous criminal conviction in California, where he spent time before ultimately moving next door to the Jabara family household.

Jabara died at a Tulsa hospital after being shot on the porch of his parents’ home in the 9300 block of South 85th East Avenue, where he lived at the time.

The shooting occurred less than a year after Majors’ arrest on a felony assault and battery complaint tied to allegations that he ran over Jabara’s mother, Haifa Jabara, with his vehicle and fled the scene without calling 911. That case is pending.

Majors, according to statements by police and Jabara family members, targeted the family for years with slurs related to their Middle Eastern background and his belief that they were Muslims. The Jabara family is Lebanese and Orthodox Christian.

Majors was not present in court Monday but is expected to be present when questioning of potential jurors resumes Tuesday.

Islamic hate crimes in Bournemouth nearly double in a year, due to the “uninformed public”, says expert

info3

Hate crimes towards the Muslim community in Bournemouth have nearly doubled since last year, and the public has been labelled “uniformed” about Muslims.

The statistics, released by Dorset Police, show how hate crimes against members of the Islamic community have occurred more frequently than in previous years. This nearly doubles the amount recorded last year.

Figures were released from the Police after a Freedom of Information request from a member of the public. It shows a total of 27 Islamic hate crimes recorded in 2017, a significant increase from the 15 offences identified by the force in 2016.

The worst-hit week was in May 2017, whereby 4 separate Islamic hate crimes took place in the area. The hate crimes started on 22nd May, the same date of the Manchester concert bombing, where 22 people died.

Continue Reading

Threat to open fire on Miami-Dade mosque earns security guard a year in prison

Masjid Miami Gardens

A security guard who left a phone message threatening to shoot members of a Miami-Dade mosque was sentenced Wednesday to a year in prison.

Gerald Sloane Wallace, 35, left the expletive-filled voice mail at the Masjid Mosque in Miami Gardens almost a year ago.

Wallace, who pleaded guilty in October to obstructing the mosque’s “free exercise of religious beliefs” for making the threatening call, faced up to five years in prison before U.S. District Judge Marcia Cooke.

In the Feb. 19 phone message, Wallace threatened to go to the mosque, also known as the Islamic Center of Greater Miami, and open fire on the Muslim congregants.

“I hate you Muslims, you Muslims are terrible. I hate you people,” Wallace’s recorded message said. “I’m gonna go down to your center, I’m gonna shoot all ya’ll. … I hate your Allah, I hate your Koran, I hate everything about Islam.”

Continue Reading

Bystanders tackle knife-carrying Tucson man after he assaults Muslim women outside of Starbucks

lewis-2

Tucson man has been taken into custody after he yelled racist slurs and attacked  a group of Muslim women sitting outside of a Starbucks — only to be tackled by bystanders as he attempted to flee.

According to TucsonNewsNow, 44-year-old Manuel Lewis was arrested on Sunday, Jan. 14, around 9 p.m after confronting the women on the coffee shop patio, yelling slurs at them and then flipping over their table before bolting.

“He came. He ran and pushed into their table. A couple of the girls fell down. He threw their table over,” recalled Joseph Witzke, who witnessed the incident and took pictures of Lewis as he was held on the ground while police were summoned.

Continue Reading

Activist charged with inciting hatred in speech at Britain First-linked rally

1403-935-2.34500876.jpg.gallery

Far-right activist Paul Rimmer has appeared in court charged with inciting hatred during a speech made at a Britain First-linked rally last summer.

The 55-year-old, from Modred Street, Liverpool, faces two charges of using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour at the Northern Ireland Against Terrorism Rally outside Belfast City Hall in August 2017.

He appeared before a sitting of Belfast Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

Defence solicitor Darren Duncan requested a two-week adjournment. After the hearing, the lawyer confirmed to the court that his client would be pleading not guilty.

Rimmer is the third person charged in connection with the controversial demonstration.

Britain First leader Paul Golding, 35, and the group’s deputy leader Jayda Fransen, 31, appeared at separate hearings earlier this month.

Continue Reading

Britain First fan who tried to ‘kill a Muslim’ by driving at curry house owner during drunken rampage is jailed

zakrocki-0

A Britain First supporter who gave a Nazi salute, shouted “white power” and drove at a curry house owner during a drunken rampage will walk free later, despite being handed a jail sentence.

White van driver Marek Zakrocki, 48, told a police officer he was going to “kill a Muslim” before launching his attack outside Spicy Night in Alexandra Parade, Harrow, north-west London, on the anniversary of the Brexit vote.

Mr Zakrocki, who was originally charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and battering his wife.

He also admitted drink-driving as he appeared via video link from Wormwood Scrubs for sentencing at the Old Bailey.

Judge Anthony Leonard QC said: “You committed these offences at a time of heightened tension because of the attack on a Muslim outside a Mosque in London.”

The judge said there was evidence of “abhorrent” racist views but his crime was due to the effect of alcohol.
Continue Reading

Windsor man pleads guilty to mischief for Islamic-themed graffiti spree

cbc-windsor-graffiti.JPG

A 50-year-old homeless man has pleaded guilty to four counts of mischief for spray painting Islamic-themed graffiti on media outlets and bus shelters across Windsor in December.

The Windsor man received a suspended sentence and 12 months probation.

The incident prompted calls from members of the Muslim community for the graffiti to be treated as a hate crime.